Monday, May 12, 2008

Greetings from Uganda!

I am sitting in the living room of "Welldone Cottage" writing this blog, hoping that the Internet connection stays on for just a few more minutes! (Doesn't look good, but we'll try.) To use the Internet in Uganda, you need three things: a computer, electricity, and a working internet connection. Today is the first day since I arrived that I have had all three!

I have been in Uganda a week now. The jet lag is gone, and the culture shock seems to be going okay. Today I walked into town ALL BY MYSELF to buy some needed supplies. I estimate that I was overcharged no more than about 5,000 Ugandan shillings - or about a dollar - so I think I'm doing good! I didn't have to walk - I could have ridden on the back of a boda, which is a bicycle with a seat on the back, for about 500 shillings, but I decided that I'm not brave enough for that yet. The boda drivers weave in and out of traffic, and, well, it makes me nervous just to watch them.

Let me tell you a little about the country: Uganda is an unbelievably beautiful country. (I would show you a photo or two, but one of my bags is still MIA, and naturally it is the bag with the software and computer cable for my camera.) Mountains, tropical bushes, palm trees of course, gorgeous flowers - my front yard looks like a park. Ugandans are also beautiful and very polite and friendly, which is amazing, as life here is very hard for most Ugandans. Sadly, that makes labor here very cheap. It also make labor necessary, as we comparatively affluent Westerners must use guards to protect our property. Even missionaries are considered rich. And we are, by Ugandan standards. More about this later.

The mission team has been wonderful. They have helped me settle in and have already begun working with me on what my responsibilities will be. Tomorrow I will walk to work and hopefully begin being a productive member of the team! I have a really great roommate. Heidi has been in Uganda before, and she is the one teaching me all the ins and outs of the culture here. She took me to market and we bought two kilos of beef from a man in a stall with sides of beef hanging all around him. I was okay with that, but when the man took our money and wrapped the beef up in banana leaves, I decided on the spot to become a vegetarian.

Hey, my Internet connection is getting shaky. Better go for now. By the way, I have changed my settings so that you can leave comments without joining anything, so please comment!

Love you all, and thank you so much for your prayers!

7 comments:

Frances Clements said...

Hey, Mary Beth,
I am glad that you are doing so well.

Maybe you will get used to banana leaf wrapped beef. :)

jennijen said...

hooray! i'm so proud of you for blogging! we're so happy to here that all is going well for you. we've finally convinced noah to stop praying for you "on your way" to africa (he had you on the plane for like, 4 days), and to start praying for you IN africa. i know that God has wonderful, amazing things for you to do, and love getting to hear about everything. love you!

LST team to Morelia, MX 2010 said...

HI MB!!

Just sent you an email and then checked your blog and you had updated!! YEA!! And I can just see you now in Welldone cottage (what does that mean?). Wow, can you believe you are actually there?? I am so so happy for you! God us so amazing!! Sorry about your mia bag. Boo!!

love you bunches!!

marilyn

Anonymous said...

I'll try again to comment, since last time it didn't work for me. I'm glad to see you're blogging, and I'm praying for that bag to show up so we can get some pictures going. I have always imagined most countries of Africa to be beautiful (a la "Out of Africa") and just picture you walking amidst all the beauty with that incredible theme song playing. If it's not really like that don't tell me!
Sounds like prayers are being answered and you're already making the folks there so thankful you came. Thank God for his gracious nature and for your willing spirit. Many blessings to all of you there, and keep blogging.
Love and hugs,
Mary C.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mary Beth! Congrats on figuring out the changing the commnets part all on your own! Uganda will be a cake if you can master technology without electricity.

=^)

Love you and miss you...and you have your camera cable now, so start showing us some pics, anytime!

Anonymous said...

MaryBeth!!! So glad you made it safely and are getting your feet wet with all the new cultural stuff. Look forward to hearing more when you can post. Love you! Amy

Steven Thiltgen said...

I just stumbled across your blog and can't wait to catch up! I'm already hooked.

Steven Thiltgen
www.medicalmissions.org