Sunday, November 23, 2008

...or I could tell you about the Hairy Lemon


Okay, I admit it.  I'm falling behind.  There's so much to talk about, but what with electricity outages, Internet down time, plain old being busy -- not to mention a touch of procrastination -- I'm just not getting the stories posted. Here are a few adventures I keep meaning to tell you about.  

1. A Ugandan wedding at which Phillip Shero officiated.  Do you know how long it takes the bride to walk down the aisle in a Ugandan wedding ceremony?

2. A team retreat at the Hairy Lemon, a resort on an island in the middle of the Nile River. By the way, in Africa, the term "resort" does not necessarily mean luxuries like electricity or running water.  It can, however, mean that monkeys come to your Sunday morning worship service, which is really neat.

3. A Sunday church village visit with Ian Shelburne and Herbert Wakamoli.  To be precise, a church service AND baby dedication AND fund-raising auction.  Guess who got to do the baby dedication prayer!  Also, guess who got carried away at the auction and bought a 20-kilo bag of g-nuts (otherwise known as peanuts).  And who discovered anew the joy of worshipping with fellow believers, no matter what language is being spoken.

4. The Messiah Theological Institute graduation ceremony.  Unfortunately, I missed part of this because I was responsible for some tasks that had to be accomplished during the ceremony.  But I did get there in time to see the MTI wall banner fall on Phillip Shero's head, which was pretty cool.  And I was privileged -- and humbled -- to hear the valedictory addresses given by men who had worked hard and sacrificed much to get their diplomas.

I'm open to suggestions.  Any preferences as to what I should talk about next, power and Internet allowing?

3 comments:

Frances Clements said...

I vote for the Hariy Lemon. I am glad you are doing well, MB.

Mary Beth said...

Sorry, Frances, I was already halfway through the village visit post by the time I got your comment, so I went ahead and finished that one first. But I'll do the Hairy Lemon next! (Well, after a Christmas blog, if that's okay.)

Frances Clements said...

That's fine. All of your posts are good. Thanks for keeping all of us updated.