Tuesday, September 30, 2008

So, mb, what have you been doing lately?

I have actually been quite busy, thank you for asking. Here's a little peek at a few fun things I've gotten to do in the past six weeks.

First of all:
I HAVE CROSSED THE NILE!

Okay, I've actually crossed the Nile several times now, because you have to cross the Nile to get to Kampala (or back).  But still, it's an adventure I hadn't had until I came to Uganda, so it definitely counts as a fun thing.  By the way, please admire the photo.  I didn't know it at the time, but it's illegal to take photos on the bridge across the Nile, so I was unwittingly breaking the law when I snapped this.  oops.


Second fun thing:
I HAVE CROSSED THE EQUATOR!
IS THAT NOT THE COOLEST THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD?
(That's my roommate, Heidi, with me.)

I have officially spent time on the south side of the Equator.  The water swirled the wrong way down the sink!  I was chattering on about how excited I was to be in the southern hemisphere, and the missionary I was talking to (who grew up an MK in Africa) mentioned that he had had trouble getting used to the fact that he now lived permanently in the northern hemisphere.  oh.


On to the third fun thing I've done in the past few weeks:

I HAVE STOOD BAREFOOT ON THE SHORE
OF LAKE VICTORIA!

This one is my personal favorite.  Why?  Well, look at a map of Africa.  What jumps out at you?  That big, beautiful blue spot in the middle of the continent.  I have thought of Africa and Lake Victoria as truly on the other side of the world since I was a little girl in missions class, spinning a globe and watching the countries go by under my fingers.  To stand on the shore of that big beautiful blue spot and realize - again! - that I am getting to have such fun serving the Lord in Africa -- well, it just doesn't get any better than that.

THANKS, EVERYONE!  If you're reading this, you have had a part in making this trip possible, and there's no way to tell you how much I love and appreciate you all.  

1 comment:

Frances Clements said...

I am so glad you are serving the Lord and having a good time.