Monday, June 16, 2008

"Lord, I stand in the midst of a multitude..."

As many of you know, I get emotional at the drop of a hat.  And in the months preceding leaving for Uganda, the song at church that was sure to bring tears to my eyes was "Hallelujah to the Lamb" by Don Moen and Debbye Graafsma.  As I listened to an auditorium full of people singing, "Lord, I stand in the midst of a multitude of those from every tribe and tongue," and I would think of where the Lord was graciously sending me, how could I not cry for joy at the thought of getting to worship with believers from a different tribe, a different tongue?  So now I live in Mbale, and you may wonder, did the reality
meet my expectations?  Well, honey, let me tell you! 

Bible study here is at 9:00 am, and the worship service begins at 10:00 am and lasts until about noon.  It's divided fairly evenly between music and preaching. The worship service is led by a praise team (which unfortunately I do not have a photo of yet).  Movement is a big part of worship here - I love it!  We praise the Lord with clapping -- lots of clapping, sometimes with members of the church doing different clap patterns at the same time, which is way cool, but a little embarrassing to this Mzungu (white person) who doesn't keep the beat well.  We clap, wave, sway, bend over, turn in circles, and of course, raise our hands.  

Besides the missionaries, there are people representing several different native languages, so the praise team leads songs in
English, Swahili, Lugandan, and, I think, Lugisu. (I try to stand by one of the missionaries who will graciously translate the words for me, so I know what I'm singing.)  But even if I don't 
understand all the words, I KNOW I'm worshipping among "those from every tribe and tongue."

We pray for the children just before they leave for their Bible study time, and this Sunday
the children sang for us before they left -- quite beautifully, and with clapping of course.  By
the way, the group had been a little more international, but Asher, the blond boy at lower left of the photo of the children, decided he no longer wanted to sing, so his big brother took him out just before the photo was snapped.

We also sometimes get a youth group and/or an adult group that sings for us.  Last week we had two groups sing! In the photo, the singers are walking around the church as they sing, which is way cool.  As you can tell, worshipping the Lord
in song is a big part of African culture!

Finally, we have someone preach.  And this part is international as well.  So far, I've heard two Americans and a Kenyan.  They preach in English (no matter what their native language) with an interpreter translating into Lugandan so as to reach the maximum number of people. Once I got used to it, I enjoyed the rhythm of an interpreted sermon.  You get a few seconds to digest what is being said. This is Ian Shelburne, a member of Mbale Mission Team, preaching with David interpreting for him. 

After church - this MUST be an international tradition -- we all wander around and talk.  I managed to grab Hannah, our summer intern, so you could get a look at the beautiful braid job a local lady did with her hair.

It is a wonderful time of worship, but wait -- that's not the end of the day!  I saved the almost best for last!  

Sunday evenings we attend a Bible study for all the expatriates living in Mbale.  Believers attend who come from the U.S., England, Australia, Holland, Lebanon, and, yes, Uganda. We study together, pray together, and worship together, AND eat together.  (got to get some good fellowship time in there!)  

Here's my final photo of the day.  It's the group singing -- you guessed it --

Lord, I stand in the midst of a multitude
Of those from every tribe and tongue
We are your people, redeemed by your blood
Purchased from death by your love
There are no words good enough to thank you
There are no words to express my praise
But I will lift up my voice and sing from my heart
With all of my strength

Hallelujah to the Lamb!
 








   


9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing all this Mary Beth! We love to see how the Lord is using you and blessing you in Mbale. I especially loved reading about worship in Mbale. How incredible!

Your beautiful humble spirit just makes me smile.

Love you--

Steph

LST team to Morelia, MX 2010 said...

Yahoo! MB updated her blog!! I've been meaning to send you an email but this is much better as it spurs me on to make a comment. LOVED those pictures, Mary Beth so keep putting them in there!!And you know that song is and has been my favorite for many years not!! How wonderful in heaven and it will truly be every tribe and tongue and language but we will all be able to understand!

Ok, we leave for China the day after tomorrow. So am I ready? Of course not but we will be on that plane on June 25 at 9pm!! so please pray for us as we have a LONG couple of flights. And our first time to China!!

love you, dear sister!! You sound wonderfully happy and that is good news!!

~marilyn and ron

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finally remembering to update your blog! We've all been eagerly awaiting to know what would happen after Settling In.

I hear good things about your presence and contribution there. I remain very excited about how the Lord is and will use you.

- - Ron

jennijen said...

that sounds so wonderful mom!i'm glad you're finding it to be as wonderful as you imagined. i love you!

jettybetty said...

What a joy to worship there! Your words bless me. I am so thankful that you are allowing God to use you there. loveyou!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful description of worship with an International flavor, a glimpse of Heaven. You and your work are in my prayers daily.

Love you,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

WOW! Sounds like you are having no trouble in knowing that HE goes before you too prepare the way! It's so wonderful hear the joy in your writing ~ the words just leap from the screen. May God continue to bless you and your team mightily as you become "HIS hands and feet" in Mbale.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary Beth,
I have never met you, but have tears of happiness, for you & what you are doing, in my eyes as I read your blog. I work with your friend Cindy & she shared your blog with me. God Bless you & your team and what you are doing. Prayers are going up for you right now.
Ann

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late reading this blog. Aww I miss you I can just picture you crying to this song. Oh who am I kidding - I can picture you crying to any song.